Share It

12.10.2013

WHAT I'VE LEARNT AFTER TWELVE WEEKS

It's not easy teaching children. The experience, though, is very rich and memorable.

I have learned several things from teaching children, many of which I'll use in later years and some of which will serve me in good stead now.

One is never to bring my prejudices and biases to the whiteboard. Looks can be confusing. A child that looks shy and unsocial today might be reacting to what you don't understand, maybe worms, maybe anything out there, and could turn out to be bright and cheerful tomorrow. Behind their little skulls are a million unknowns which, cloaked by curiosity and innocence, makes a child unpredictable.

Secondly, children are the most transparent characters one can study. Tabithe, in nursery class, with all shiny eyes and toothy smiles is as clear as any still water on a warm Saturday. Children say what they think and could be thoughtless sometimes although innocence makes up for their thoughtlessness. Tochukwu, primary 1, hides a punch of wisdom in her small frame. She could be poignant and has the traits of a leader. These children are in the primary school where I teach

Generosity – both in words and action. They are ready to share. But sometimes due to quibbles you'll never get to understand, they might not be ready to share. I taught Promise about greed and generosity when he refused to share his collection of Indomitables with his brother, Victor, for whom I conduct private coaching. He later agreed with me that it's insensible seeking to acquire everything when your brother does not have. He had registered, through my MTN line, fifteen (15) Indomitable heroes and needed only one to make it sixteen (16) and be entered into the draw. He told me I was “wicked”, I and Victor, for taking some Indomitable heroes cards from him and giving it to Victor. It was surprising and funny having to hear that from a child.

Children learn in little modules. Adults desire to cram everything into their skulls. Not so for a child. Now, I teach in modules. To do 21 plus 35, I have learned the value of doing the maths on the units side first (1 plus 5) before the tens side. One step before the next! As for Samuel, in primary 3, he keeps adding the tens side before the units side. The proprietor told him he was pampered; I think he is over-pampered but intelligently so.

Be disciplined if you want to instill discipline. Children learn what the limits are and they play on the edge of your limits. Always stick to your words. Be firm, yet flexible. If you say no, give reasons why it is a no and not because you are saying so; not because you are “Uncle!” Patience, in primary 6, can tie a knot around you if you don't walk your talk. Finally, teach them God's word, the Bible. It's in the curriculum, I agree, but teach them both on the whiteboard and in your speech, your choice of words, your actions and your walk. They need it because they are still forming an opinion about the world; to make moral choices, no other book can serve best.

Have I learned all there is to learn? Not by a mile! I am still chewing on this. I decided to share it on this blog. This blog was meant to share my experience teaching kids computer science, but there is still room for one or two surprises like this article.

See my album on google.com with pictures of the children in Nova Primary School, and then another of the children I conduct private coaching in the evenings with. I wish you all a nice weekend.

By the way, Nova International School will be holding its End-of-year party tomorrow. I decided to publish this article before tomorrow so I can have the freedom to publish the party pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment